(Today I'm going to share something new. I call it a "Twant." Sometimes when I'm on Twitter, I feel the need to expand on a thought expressed in a tweet. And then I add another, and another, until I have a whole series that comes across like a lecture or a rant. Here's a twant I did this morning on the process of change in a congergation. Once I get permission, I'm going to post a Twitter convo I had on the same topic that generated a lot of replies from other tweeters. For more of my tweets, please go to @revjimmoss.)
Had b'fast w/ local Meth and Bapt mins. Had basically same convo on church transformation I had here last night. With contextual flavor!
Our #1 identified challenge: It's not that our churches aren't willing to change. It's that they see the micro and we tend to see the macro.
Put another way. Church members' vision for change is often more immediate, practical - like putting a rock band in worship...
While clergy's is often more abstract, theological. Challenge is how to pull the two together.
Potential conflict: Micro vision of change still sees basic structure, programs of institution as something to preserve. Just with tweaks.
Macro vision sees the need for deeper transformation in whole way the institution looks and functions.
The good news: Carefully done over time, many micro changes can add up to macro change.
No comments:
Post a Comment