A few times from this pulpit, I have spoken about the increasing divisiveness that we are seeing in our nation – divisions that are political, economic, and racial. This summer, every time we turn on the news, it seems like something controversial and polarizing is being announced – whether it comes from the Supreme Court, from Congress, from the White House, from state legislatures, or – as we learned late last night – from a jury.
The announcement of the verdict of the Trayvon Martin case caps
off a week that has been particularly polarizing. It seems like we as a nation
are so determined to be against one another that we’re just bouncing from story
to story continuing the same polarizing fight.
Now I’m not going to pretend that I know whether George
Zimmerman is guilty or not. But the case has been a flashpoint for racial
tensions, and I stand with my African American friends as I see in them the struggle,
the pain, and the fear that is still a reality of their existence. No matter
how we feel about this one high-profile case, we can all agree that racial
divisions are still strong in this nation. We are far from realizing The
Dream that Martin Luther King spoke of, and we are called to work in
Christ-like ways to bring peace and justice to our nation at a time when it
seems so much of our unity is fracturing.
One of the biggest things we can do to be an agent of peace and justice is
to pay attention to the lesson of today’s parable. It is about some workers in
a vineyard, and about their quickness to stand in judgment of others. The
lesson Jesus is giving is that we are to approach our fellow human beings not
with judgment, but with love and compassion.
In our divided times, standing in
judgment of others is what we see too often.
Working to defeat one another and condemn one another seems to be the rule of
the day. So let us now listen to the
words of Christ from Matthew 20, where he calls us to a different path.
1 comment:
I'm so glad there are pastors like you. I feel like religion is so often used as a tool for division, but it's at its best when it is used to cope with pain. Thanks Jim.
Post a Comment